Monday, May 19, 2008

Do You Express Gratefulness In Your Relationship?

A relationship demands sacrifices. Both the partners sacrifice to make the relationship work. Recently I was with a couple and I was listening to the sacrifices the wife had made. She said- I used to paint when I was young. I was a dancer. I loved hiking. I loved outdoor sports. But now I am so overwhelmed with kids and home that I have no time for myself. I did not ask the husband but I am sure that he has also given up many things to make the relationship work. The question is do either of them feel grateful to the other for the sacrifices? I think that many times we forget that. Let us explore this more.
Many relationships destroy person’s desires. Women are anyway expected to give up more to look after family. If her husband is callous about her desires she feels very bad. That may begin a break-up. Though men may not give up as much as women they also give up lot of freedom. Acknowledgment of this is very important. I may have sacrificed a lot, but should it also go unnoticed? I will certainly feel used after that.
If the partner understands, he/she will find ways to help other realize the dreams and fulfill desires. If the partner is self-centered, this will not happen. But the partner can at least feel grateful about what is sacrificed. They may say a thank you for that whenever the occasion demands. They should try to find some way so that the unfulfilled dreams of their partner may get fulfilled. Only then the relationship will thrive.
Find out about your partners hobbies before they got into the relationship. Find out how much they miss that. If possible try something to help them go back to the hobby. If that is not possible acknowledge that sacrifice and be grateful to your partner.

No comments: